Setting Up Your Giving Tuesday Fundraiser
Did you know? Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, covers all fees for donations made to charitable organizations. That means Blessings in a Backpack will receive 100% of donations made through these platforms on Giving Tuesday.
- Go to facebook.com/fund/blessingsinabackpack.
- Fill in the blanks, including the “Goal Amount” and “End Date” for your fundraiser. Remember, you will receive a Blessings in a Backpack t-shirt if you raise more than $300. We recommend making your goal $500 if you have more than a few hundred Facebook friends. Tip: Consider ending your fundraiser a day or two after Giving Tuesday (December 1) as some people will donate on Wednesday or Thursday.
- Create your “Fundraiser Title.” If you’re raising money for a specific program, include that in the title. For example, “Buddy’s Giving Tuesday fundraiser for Blessings in a Backpack at ABC Elementary/City.”
- Tell your friends why you chose to support Blessings in a Backpack in the “Description” box. If you can, include a personal note. Find suggested wording in the blue box below.
- Click “Create.” Wait for the next screen to load. A pop-up will appear. Then click “Get Started.” You will be asked to invite your friends. Clicking “Invite” next to your friend’s name will let them know you created this fundraiser. We recommend inviting everyone! You never know when an old friend or family member will decide to donate to your cause.
- Facebook will then prompt you to share the fundraiser on your timeline. Here’s your opportunity to write a short note asking friends to support Blessings.
- Finally, you will be prompted to make a donation. While you don’t HAVE to, starting your fundraiser off with a donation makes it more likely others will donate. It shows you care enough to donate yourself.
You can always return to your fundraiser page by finding “Fundraisers” on the left-hand side of your Facebook timeline. From there, you can share it to your timeline and post updates. Click here to learn more about Facebook Fundraisers.
On Instagram, you can create a fundraiser and share it with a feed post or reel. The fundraiser will be visible in your post and you can find a link to the fundraiser in your bio.
- Open Instagram and tap .
- Create or choose your image and tap Next.
- Crop and filter your post, and then tap Next.
- Tap Add fundraiser.
- Choose the nonprofit you want to fundraise for. You’ll automatically go to the “Fundraiser Details” page.
- Enter the details for your fundraiser and then tap Done. If you’re raising money for a specific program, include that in the title. For example, “Buddy’s Giving Tuesday fundraiser for Blessings in a Backpack at ABC Elementary/City.” Set the goal amount for $300 or more.
- Tap Share.
The fundraiser will be active for 30 days. You can extend the fundraiser duration or end it at any time. Click here to learn more about Instagram Fundraisers.
You can also include a donation badge in your Instagram Story to ask followers to donate in support of Blessings in a Backpack, and setting it up is easy! Watch the video below to learn more; an example of an Instagram story with the donation badge and our tags is to the right.